MapleMusic Becomes Cadence Music Group
Indie music icon celebrates 15 years as it renames and reinvents for the future
Toronto (March 2, 2016) – MapleMusic, a leading independent music company headquartered in Toronto, Canada, has changed its name to Cadence Music Group. The rebranding coincides with the company’s 15th anniversary and a strategic refocusing on its core music business.
“Today, as we mark our 15th anniversary, we are celebrating the reinvention of a great legacy,” says Iain Taylor, CEO of Cadence Music Group. “Cadence Music is the new face of a re-energized music company that is reaffirming its place in the indie music scene. With our deep well of expertise, infrastructure and business relationships, we are uniquely positioned to maximize opportunities for artists and labels not only in Canada, but also on the global stage.”
Alabama Shakes, who are on the Cadence Music label in Canada, remarks, “Huge congrats to our Canadian family on the launch of Cadence Music. We thank them for all their hard work in helping us reach Gold status on our albums Boys & Girls and Sound & Color. Looking forward to our new adventures together!”
Cadence Music provides a full range of services that marry music and commerce under a single umbrella. These services are provided through the following divisions:
• Cadence Music – our label imprint for artist signings;
• Fontana North – our domestic and international label distribution company;
• Fan Experience – North America’s leading fan engagement company;
• Cadence Management – a new division representing our collective of artist managers;
• Open Road Recordings – Canada’s leading country music label;
• Pheromone Recordings – our boutique artist label; and
• Cadence Songs – our music publishing group.
Under a dynamic new leadership team, Cadence has undergone major changes over the past year to position itself for the next 15 years. The changes include the sale of TicketBreak to Ticketfly in January 2016 as well as some key additions to the company’s senior management over the last six months. These moves, coupled with today’s rebranding, support Cadence’s strategic refocusing.
“Maple has been a pioneer in our business, showing us all that independence and success need not be mutually exclusive,” says Jeffrey Remedios, President and CEO of Universal Music Canada, a Cadence shareholder and key strategic partner. “Cadence is the future. Iain and his team have already made important new strides and I’m excited for what will come next.”
Cadence’s achievements during the past year include:
• Supporting Alabama Shakes to make Canada their first and only gold record territory, for the four-time Grammy award winning album “Sound & Color”;
• Signing deals with artists Amy Lee (of Evanescence), The Pack A.D., Escondido, Royal Tusk, Donovan Woods, Adaline and The Treble, with many more announcements to come;
• New label deals with Justin Time, Canada’s world renowned jazz label, Danny Goldberg’s Gold Village Entertainment and Shout! Factory, the leading purveyors of pop culture content;
• Signing six new clients to Fan Experience in the last four months and achieving the near sell-out of VIP packages for the upcoming Hedley Canadian tour; and
• 11 JUNO nominations this year including Dean Brody, on Open Road, who received Fan Choice Award and Country Album of the Year nominations along with a performance spot on the award show telecast.
About Cadence Music Group
Cadence Music Group is a leading independent music company based in Toronto, Canada. With a wealth of expertise, infrastructure and business relationships, Cadence Music Group is uniquely positioned to maximize opportunities for artists and labels both in Canada and globally. The group provides a full range of services through: Cadence Music, our label imprint for artist signings; Fontana North, our domestic and international label distribution company; Fan Experience, North America’s leading fan engagement company; Cadence Management, our collective of artist managers; Open Road Recordings, Canada’s leading country music label; Pheromone Recordings, our boutique artist label; and music publisher Cadence Songs. Cadence Music Group was founded as MapleCore Ltd. in 1999. Past and present acts include Martha Wainwright, Cold War Kids, Daniel Lanois, Kathleen Edwards and Gold and Platinum-certified Alabama Shakes, Radiohead, Taylor Swift, Johnny Reid, Joel Plaskett, Mac Miller and Sam Roberts. The company’s acts have received 115 music awards, including 36 JUNOs and 12 Grammy awards, and many more nominations.
For more information:
Manager, National Media Relations
Cadence Music Group
O: 416-718-6549 / C: 416.803.7685